Login to Heart Prints
User NamePassword
Forgot Password? · Register
Login
Heart Prints • View topic - #6389: gluing those tiny die cuts...

General Discussion

#6389: gluing those tiny die cuts...

#6389: gluing those tiny die cuts...

Postby Lura » November 14th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Thanks Sue! My main reason for trying to log on the other day was your comment on the latest card about glue issues with the finely detailed die cuts. Don't you just love Dave's Memory Box dies? I saw him the first day he introduced them and he was so excited about dies that he just can't stop making them. So glad for that, ha-ha. Anyway, your idea of running them through the sticker maker machine was pure genius and I hadn't thought of it even though my Xyron was staring me right in the face. I do have a couple of other options that work well for those who don't have a Xyron and not willing to buy one at the moment... There is a product made by Therm O Web called Sticky Dots Die-Cut Adhesive that works well. It is pretty much the same process but doesn't require a machine. All you need is your finger. :0) And you can also place your die face down on a piece of scrap paper and run a glue stick over the back. Gets it completely glued with no excess to deal with. I use an old telephone book for this method - endless pieces of scrap that fold over to stick themselves to the last page used and you are ready with a clean sheet until the book is all glued together. Good recycling option... :mrgreen:
Lura

Re: #6389: gluing those tiny die cuts...

Postby mojo » November 14th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Thanks for the additional tips for gluing down small items!
Mary Jane
mojo

Postby SueNelson » November 14th, 2011, 7:49 pm

In addition, try using a ball tipped stylus around the outside edges of the die cut to release the glue a little better. I do that with the Xyron and this might need a little help too.

Thanks for the tip Lura.
SueNelson
Site Admin

Postby Vicki » November 30th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Hi,
I have purchased a few of the Cheery Lynn doilies. I haven't really used them yet—but plan to. It seems like I always find something else that has to be done. As winter progresses I plan to use them and probably purchase a few more. I really like the Halloween scene one that you used, plus others.

I have not personally used the Xyron machine. I was wondering what you thought of the cost effectiveness of the Xyron versus the Sticky Dots Die-Cut Adhesive. I googled the Sticky Dots Die-Cut Adhesive and you are only getting 12 sheets of 4.25 x 5.5 for around $4.00 or so.

I was thinking about the Xyron that does the 5 inch stickers. I only do cardmaking. Do you run an appropriate size piece of cardstock through the Xyron machine to get it sticky, and then you run it through a Cuttlebug or other machine to cut it with the Cheery Lynn Die? Also, does this cause the dies or Cuttlebug plates to get all sticky where it takes a lot of extra time to clean sticky stuff off of the dies or plates?

Whenever, I make a “larger” investment, I usually figure that if you take care of it, it’s going to last—which is my thinking of the Xyron machine. Any thoughts you have on the Xyron vs Sticky Dots Die-Cut Adhesive subject are appreciated.

I do watch this web site for the cards you make and they are all really cute.

Thanks.
Vicki

Postby SueNelson » December 1st, 2011, 9:58 am

I do not know about the sticky dot adhesive product. I have had Xyron machines forever and buy the refills when they are half price, so I can't compare the two. I do like the Xyron because it is a clean application of the glue and I save all of the extra pieces for smaller items. I did have a product years ago that was a sheet of tiny dots of glue that I did not care for (very messy) but I am not sure it is the same product you are asking about.

QUOTE:I was thinking about the Xyron that does the 5 inch stickers. I only do cardmaking. Do you run an appropriate size piece of cardstock through the Xyron machine to get it sticky, and then you run it through a Cuttlebug or other machine to cut it with the Cheery Lynn Die? Also, does this cause the dies or Cuttlebug plates to get all sticky where it takes a lot of extra time to clean sticky stuff off of the dies or plates?

Once I apply the sticker glue, I trim around the sheet of paper so all of the excess is gone, so I have no issues with mess anywhere.
SueNelson
Site Admin

Postby Vicki » December 1st, 2011, 11:56 am

Thanks Sue. After I posted my question above, I googled the Xyron. They are not as expensive as I thought they would be, especially the 5 inch one.

Did you use the Xyron to attach the EK Success Decorative Trees Border Punch that you used in card #6435? If so, it seems that even the punches are getting more intricate where there would be more uses for the Xyron.
Thanks again.
Vicki

Postby SueNelson » December 1st, 2011, 2:11 pm

I used white glue for the tree border because there was adequate space for the glue.
SueNelson
Site Admin

Postby Vicki » December 1st, 2011, 2:56 pm

Sue,
Thanks for all the adhesive information.
Vicki

Return to General Discussion

User Control Panel

Login